For over two decades, as a major gift officer for Yale University, Mystic Seaport, The Nature Conservancy of CT and AmeriCares, and more recently as a fundraising consultant, Sarah Shrewsbury has raised thousands of major gifts for:
Current Use/Operating Budget
Scholarship and Endowment
Sarah's extensive fundraising skills set run the full gamut of the major gift process including: identifying, researching, cultivating, entertaining, soliciting, closing, and stewarding major gift donors. She also excels at planning, tracking and prioritizing the major gift and Campaign processes.
The major gifts Sarah raises come in all forms: planned gifts, bequests, gifts-in-kind as well as cash and stock. Some highlights of Sarah's past work include:
- 13 years raising major gifts for Yale University, including 3 years at Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
- As a consultant, helped Women and Family Life Center exceed their campaign goal by 16%, 18 months ahead of schedule, and helped New England Forestry Foundation raise hundreds of thousands of dollars, in just one year, from individuals, families and foundations who were previously unfamlair with the nonprofit and their land conservation project
- In 2008, in less than one year, Sarah identified and cultivated a new donor, then closed the largest single commitment, $2.5 million, in The Nature Conservancy of CT's 50 year history
- In 2013, while at AmeriCares, Sarah created the international connections and nurtured the process of the donation and delivery of 30,000 pairs of Tom's Shoes to orphans in Ukraine. Previously, AmeriCares was not working in Ukraine
- Conceptualized, planned and executed hundreds of major donor cultivation events
Based on decades of experience, Sarah understands the importance of carefully balancing resources and attention among all levels of an organization's donors.
At the heart of her work, Sarah has great respect for donors. She helps her clients get to know philanthropists through active listening, asking key questions and using patience, intelligence and empathy to guide donors to achieve their philanthropic dreams.
Sarah has visited thousands of donors in their homes, offices and private clubs from Maine to Virginia. She has traveled to Ukraine and Guatemala to witness great philanthropy in action.
Sarah Shrewsbury earned her BA in History from Tufts University. She served on the Advisory Council, and is a former board member of the Guilford Land Conservation Trust. With over 3,000 acres preserved and under management, GLCT is among Connecticut's most successfyl 'single town' land trusts. Sarah grew up and has lived most of her life in historic Guilford, CT.